pgsql: Be more careful about marking catalog columns NOT NULL by defaul - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Be more careful about marking catalog columns NOT NULL by defaul
Date
List pgsql-committers
Be more careful about marking catalog columns NOT NULL by default.

The bug fixed in commit 72eab84a5 would not have occurred if initdb
had a less surprising rule about which columns should be marked
NOT NULL by default.  Let's make that rule be strictly that the
column must be fixed-width and its predecessors must be fixed-width
and NOT NULL, removing the hacky and unsafe exceptions for oidvector
and int2vector.

Since we do still want all existing oidvector and int2vector columns
to be marked NOT NULL, we have to put BKI_FORCE_NOT_NULL labels on
them.  But making this less magic and more documented seems like a
good idea, even if it's a shade more verbose.

I didn't bump catversion since the initial catalog contents are
not actually changed by this patch.  Note however that the
contents of postgres.bki do change, and feeding an old copy of
that to a new backend will produce wrong results.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/204760.1595181800@sss.pgh.pa.us

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fc032bed2fb809ee69eaf2fece349f65274c876f

Modified Files
doc/src/sgml/bki.sgml                      |  3 ++-
src/backend/bootstrap/bootstrap.c          | 17 +++++----------
src/backend/catalog/genbki.pl              | 33 ++++++++++++++++--------------
src/include/catalog/genbki.h               |  4 ++--
src/include/catalog/pg_index.h             | 10 +++++----
src/include/catalog/pg_partitioned_table.h | 14 ++++++++-----
src/include/catalog/pg_proc.h              |  2 +-
src/include/catalog/pg_statistic_ext.h     |  2 +-
src/include/catalog/pg_trigger.h           |  3 ++-