pgsql: Assert that we don't insert nulls into attnotnull catalog column - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Assert that we don't insert nulls into attnotnull catalog column
Date
List pgsql-committers
Assert that we don't insert nulls into attnotnull catalog columns.

The executor checks for this error, and so does the bootstrap catalog
loader, but we never checked for it in retail catalog manipulations.
The folly of that has now been exposed, so let's add assertions
checking it.  Checking in CatalogTupleInsert[WithInfo] and
CatalogTupleUpdate[WithInfo] should be enough to cover this.

Back-patch to v10; the aforesaid functions didn't exist before that,
and it didn't seem worth adapting the patch to the oldest branches.
But given the risk of JIT crashes, I think we certainly need this
as far back as v11.

Pre-v13, we have to explicitly exclude pg_subscription.subslotname
and pg_subscription_rel.srsublsn from the checks, since they are
mismarked.  (Even if we change our mind about applying BKI_FORCE_NULL
in the branch tips, it doesn't seem wise to have assertions that
would fire in existing databases.)

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/298837.1595196283@sss.pgh.pa.us

Branch
------
REL_11_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f451029db85acc9dd9856715e5490ade59fda229

Modified Files
doc/src/sgml/bki.sgml          |  5 +---
src/backend/catalog/indexing.c | 57 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++