pgsql: Prevent memory leaks associated with relcache rd_partcheckstruc - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Prevent memory leaks associated with relcache rd_partcheckstruc
Date
List pgsql-committers
Prevent memory leaks associated with relcache rd_partcheck structures.

The original coding of generate_partition_qual() just copied the list
of predicate expressions into the global CacheMemoryContext, making it
effectively impossible to clean up when the owning relcache entry is
destroyed --- the relevant code in RelationDestroyRelation() only managed
to free the topmost List header :-(.  This resulted in a session-lifespan
memory leak whenever a table partition's relcache entry is rebuilt.
Fortunately, that's not normally a large data structure, and rebuilds
shouldn't occur all that often in production situations; but this is
still a bug worth fixing back to v10 where the code was introduced.

To fix, put the cached expression tree into its own small memory context,
as we do with other complicated substructures of relcache entries.
Also, deal more honestly with the case that a partition has an empty
partcheck list; while that probably isn't a case that's very interesting
for production use, it's legal.

In passing, clarify comments about how partitioning-related relcache
data structures are managed, and add some Asserts that we're not leaking
old copies when we overwrite these data fields.

Amit Langote and Tom Lane

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/7961.1552498252@sss.pgh.pa.us

Branch
------
REL_10_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d4c50b4b1f86f639992b23eb183575ad6f0653ca

Modified Files
src/backend/catalog/partition.c    | 66 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------
src/backend/utils/cache/relcache.c | 31 +++++++++++-------
src/include/utils/rel.h            |  8 +++--