pgsql: Doc: document that we expect CHECK constraint conditions to bei - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Doc: document that we expect CHECK constraint conditions to bei
Date
List pgsql-committers
Doc: document that we expect CHECK constraint conditions to be immutable.

This restriction is implicit in the check-only-once implementation we use
for table and domain constraints, but it wasn't spelled out anywhere, nor
was there any advice about how to alter a constraint's behavior safely.
Improve that.

I was also dissatisfied with the documentation of ALTER DOMAIN VALIDATE
CONSTRAINT, which entirely failed to explain the use of that feature; and
thence decided that ALTER TABLE VALIDATE CONSTRAINT could be documented
better as well.

Perhaps we should back-patch this, along with the related commit 36d442a25,
but for now I refrained.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/12539.1544107316@sss.pgh.pa.us

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1f66c657f2b4eb55c68593d5c14256115aa6a0ea

Modified Files
doc/src/sgml/ddl.sgml               | 28 ++++++++++++-
doc/src/sgml/ref/alter_domain.sgml  | 21 ++++++++--
doc/src/sgml/ref/alter_table.sgml   | 83 ++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------
doc/src/sgml/ref/create_domain.sgml | 24 +++++++++++