pgsql: Revert "Distinguish printf-like functions that support %m fromt - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Revert "Distinguish printf-like functions that support %m fromt
Date
List pgsql-committers
Revert "Distinguish printf-like functions that support %m from those that don't."

This reverts commit 3a60c8ff892a8242b907f44702bfd9f1ff877d45.  Buildfarm
results show that that caused a whole bunch of new warnings on platforms
where gcc believes the local printf to be non-POSIX-compliant.  This
problem outweighs the hypothetical-anyway possibility of getting warnings
for misuse of %m.  We could use gnu_printf archetype when we've substituted
src/port/snprintf.c, but that brings us right back to the problem of not
getting warnings for %m.

A possible answer is to attack it in the other direction by insisting
that %m support be included in printf's feature set, but that will take
more investigation.  In the meantime, revert the previous change, and
update the comment for PGAC_C_PRINTF_ARCHETYPE to more fully explain
what's going on.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/2975.1526862605@sss.pgh.pa.us

Branch
------