pgsql: Invent PageIndexTupleOverwrite, and teach BRIN and GiST to use i - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Invent PageIndexTupleOverwrite, and teach BRIN and GiST to use i
Date
List pgsql-committers
Invent PageIndexTupleOverwrite, and teach BRIN and GiST to use it.

PageIndexTupleOverwrite performs approximately the same function as
PageIndexTupleDelete (or PageIndexDeleteNoCompact) followed by PageAddItem
targeting the same item pointer offset.  But in the case where the new
tuple is the same size as the old, it avoids shuffling other data around on
the page, because the new tuple is placed where the old one was rather than
being appended to the end of the page.  This has been shown to provide a
substantial speedup for some GiST use-cases.

Also, this change allows some API simplifications: we can get rid of
the rather klugy and error-prone PAI_ALLOW_FAR_OFFSET flag for
PageAddItemExtended, since that was used only to cover a corner case
for BRIN that's better expressed by using PageIndexTupleOverwrite.

Note that this patch causes a rather subtle WAL incompatibility: the
physical page content change represented by certain WAL records is now
different than it was before, because while the tuples have the same
itempointer line numbers, the tuples themselves are in different places.
I have not bumped the WAL version number because I think it doesn't matter
unless you are trying to do bitwise comparisons of original and replayed
pages, and in any case we're early in a devel cycle and there will probably
be more WAL changes before v10 gets out the door.

There is probably room to make use of PageIndexTupleOverwrite in SP-GiST
and GIN too, but that is left for a future patch.

Andrey Borodin, reviewed by Anastasia Lubennikova, whacked around a bit
by me

Discussion: <CAJEAwVGQjGGOj6mMSgMwGvtFd5Kwe6VFAxY=uEPZWMDjzbn4VQ@mail.gmail.com>

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b1328d78f88cdf4f7504004159e530b776f0de16

Modified Files
src/backend/access/brin/brin_pageops.c |   6 +-
src/backend/access/brin/brin_xlog.c    |   9 +--
src/backend/access/gist/gist.c         |  30 +++++--
src/backend/access/gist/gistxlog.c     |  29 ++++++-
src/backend/storage/page/bufpage.c     | 142 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
src/include/storage/bufpage.h          |   3 +-