pgsql: Remove support for Unix systems without the POSIX signal APIs. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Remove support for Unix systems without the POSIX signal APIs.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Remove support for Unix systems without the POSIX signal APIs.

Remove configure's checks for HAVE_POSIX_SIGNALS, HAVE_SIGPROCMASK, and
HAVE_SIGSETJMP.  These APIs are required by the Single Unix Spec v2
(POSIX 1997), which we generally consider to define our minimum required
set of Unix APIs.  Moreover, no buildfarm member has reported not having
them since 2012 or before, which means that even if the code is still live
somewhere, it's untested --- and we've made plenty of signal-handling
changes of late.  So just take these APIs as given and save the cycles for
configure probes for them.

However, we can't remove as much C code as I'd hoped, because the Windows
port evidently still uses the non-POSIX code paths for signal masking.
Since we're largely emulating these BSD-style APIs for Windows anyway, it
might be a good thing to switch over to POSIX-like notation and thereby
remove a few more #ifdefs.  But I'm not in a position to code or test that.
In the meantime, we can at least make things a bit more transparent by
testing for WIN32 explicitly in these places.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a65e086453e0dea5cdd7f9fe9dc6c34d8bfc0f2c

Modified Files
--------------
config/c-library.m4           |   27 --------------
configure.in                  |   26 +------------
src/Makefile.global.in        |    3 --
src/backend/libpq/pqsignal.c  |    6 +--
src/include/c.h               |    4 +-
src/include/libpq/pqsignal.h  |   18 ++++-----
src/include/pg_config.h.in    |    9 -----
src/include/pg_config.h.win32 |    9 -----