BUG #7572: virtualxid lock held by bgwriter on promoted slaves - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From daniele.varrazzo@gmail.com
Subject BUG #7572: virtualxid lock held by bgwriter on promoted slaves
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      7572
Logged by:          Daniele Varrazzo
Email address:      daniele.varrazzo@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.1.4
Operating system:   Linux

Hello,

when a slave is promoted, the pgwriter keeps holding a lock with virtualxid
"1/1" and virtualtransaction "-1/0". Such lock stops pg_reorg to run (as
reported here:
http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/index.php?func=3Ddetail&aid=3D1011203&group_id=
=3D1000411&atid=3D1376)
but I've verified the same condition on 9.1.4).

Is it possible to free that lock on slave promotion?

Is it safe to ignore that lock for pg_reorg sake? The program is which is
probably waiting for all the transactions to finish before swapping the
table in the system catalog but I'm not sure about that yet.