Re: Performance comparison between Postgres and Greenplum - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alex Goncharov
Subject Re: Performance comparison between Postgres and Greenplum
Date
List pgsql-performance
,--- You/Suvankar (Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:53:41 +0530) ----*
| I have some 99,000 records in a table (OBSERVATION_ALL) in a Postgres DB
| as well as a Greenplum DB.
|
| The Primary key is a composite one comprising of 2 columns (so_no,
| serial_no).
|
| The execution of the following query takes 8214.016 ms in Greenplum but
| only 729.134 ms in Postgres.
| select * from observation_all order by so_no, serial_no;
|
| I believe that execution time in greenplum should be less compared to
| postgres. Can anybody throw some light, it would be of great help.

Why do you believe so?

Is your data distributed and served by separate segment hosts?  By how
many?  Is the network connectivity not a factor?  What happens with
the times if you don't sort your result set?

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov@comcast.net --