Re: WWW interface for postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Welty
Subject Re: WWW interface for postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:41:26 +0900 Karen Ellrick <k-ellrick@sctech.co.jp> wrote:
> Meanwhile, my first question is still valid - it's a spooky feeling to see
> your own domain name show up, married with someone else's username, as a
> return address on a message that you know neither you (nor anyone else in
> your domain - in my case I am the only English speaker) wrote.  Did others
> get the same message as coming from Debian@their.own.domain, or were all the
> copies with mine (sctech.co.jp)?

odds are that the user named debian is using a system where the MTA isn't
adding the domain name (which it should be doing, unqualified usernames in
from fields of email are evil.) none of the intervening MTAs took any
action, and the MTA for your company probably recognized the unqualified
username in the from address and "helpfully" added one.

my best guess,
  richard