Re: Emulating partitioning in postgresql 8.0? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Emulating partitioning in postgresql 8.0?
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Apr 30, 2007, at 4:33 PM, Fei Liu wrote:
> Hi Group, I just realized that partitioning is not available in
> 8.0. As far as I can see it's only 'set constraint_exclusion = on;'
> missing from 8.0 compared with 8.1. Is there  a way to emulate
> partitioning in 8.0 and achieve good performance on query with
> large amount of data?

Sure, just set it up and ensure that you have the partitioning key
indexed in every partition. Query execution won't be as fast since
the database will need to hit all those indexes, but as long as you
don't have too many partitions it shouldn't make a huge difference.