Re: how to view the content of schema pg_catalog? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: how to view the content of schema pg_catalog?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Please include the list in your replies so that others can learn.

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 09:35:10AM -0400, Fei Liu wrote:
> Jim Nasby wrote:
> >On Apr 25, 2007, at 4:37 PM, Fei Liu wrote:
> >>I couldn't find anything in the postgresql manual as how to view its
> >>content. SELECT does not seem to work.
> >
> >What's the exact command and error message?
> netilla=#  \dn
>        List of schemas
>        Name        |  Owner
> --------------------+----------
> information_schema | postgres
> pg_catalog         | postgres
> pg_toast           | postgres
> public             | postgres
> (4 rows)
>
> netilla=# select * from pg_catalog;
> ERROR:  relation "pg_catalog" does not exist

That would be because pg_catalog is a schema; you can't select from it.
If you want to see what's in there, use \dS.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                decibel@decibel.org