Re: [PERFORM] Quad processor options - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Paul Tuckfield
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Quad processor options
Date
List pgsql-admin
it's very good to understand specific choke points you're trying to
address by upgrading so you dont get disappointed.  Are you truly CPU
constrained, or is it memory footprint or IO thruput that makes you
want to upgrade?

IMO The best way to begin understanding system choke points is vmstat
output.

Would you mind forwarding the output of "vmstat 10 120" under peak load
period?  (I'm asusming this is linux or unix variant)  a brief
description of what is happening during the vmstat sample would help a
lot too.