Re: Quad processor options - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Anjan Dave
Subject Re: Quad processor options
Date
List pgsql-performance
We use XEON Quads (PowerEdge 6650s) and they work nice, provided you configure the postgres properly. Dell is the
cheapestquad you can buy i think. You shouldn't be paying 30K unless you are getting high CPU-cache on each processor
andtons of memory.

I am actually curious, have you researched/attempted any postgresql clustering solutions? I agree, you can't just keep
buyingbigger machines.

They have 5 internal drives (4 in RAID 10, 1 spare) on U320, 128MB cache on the PERC controller, 8GB RAM.

Thanks,
Anjan

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Bjoern Metzdorf [mailto:bm@turtle-entertainment.de]
    Sent: Tue 5/11/2004 3:06 PM
    To: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
    Cc: Pgsql-Admin (E-mail)
    Subject: [PERFORM] Quad processor options

    Hi,

    I am curious if there are any real life production quad processor setups
    running postgresql out there. Since postgresql lacks a proper
    replication/cluster solution, we have to buy a bigger machine.

    Right now we are running on a dual 2.4 Xeon, 3 GB Ram and U160 SCSI
    hardware-raid 10.

    Has anyone experiences with quad Xeon or quad Opteron setups? I am
    looking at the appropriate boards from Tyan, which would be the only
    option for us to buy such a beast. The 30k+ setups from Dell etc. don't
    fit our budget.

    I am thinking of the following:

    Quad processor (xeon or opteron)
    5 x SCSI 15K RPM for Raid 10 + spare drive
    2 x IDE for system
    ICP-Vortex battery backed U320 Hardware Raid
    4-8 GB Ram

    Would be nice to hear from you.

    Regards,
    Bjoern