[HACKERS] [Proposal] Allow users to specify multiple tables in VACUUM commands - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bossart, Nathan
Subject [HACKERS] [Proposal] Allow users to specify multiple tables in VACUUM commands
Date
Re: [HACKERS] [Proposal] Allow users to specify multiple tables in VACUUM commands  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Hackers,

Currently, VACUUM commands allow you to specify one table or all of the tables in the current database to vacuum.  I’ve
recentlyfound myself wishing I could specify multiple tables in a single VACUUM statement.  For example, this would be
convenientwhen there are several large tables in a database and only a few need cleanup for XID purposes.  Is this a
featurethat the community might be interested in?

I’ve attached my first attempt at introducing this functionality.  In the patch, I’ve extended the table_name parameter
inthe VACUUM grammar to a qualified_name_list.  While this fits into the grammar decently well, I suspect that it may
bedesirable to be able to specify a column list for each table as well (e.g. VACUUM foo (a), bar (b)).  The attached
patchrequires that only one table be specified in order to specify a column list.  But before I spend too much more
timeworking on this, I thought I’d see how pgsql-hackers@ felt about this feature.

Thanks,
Nathan Bossart