RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: BUG #18289: postgresql14-devel-14.10-2PGDG.rhel8.x86_64.rpm Contains invalid cLang option in Makefile.global - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Fensterman, John P
Subject RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: BUG #18289: postgresql14-devel-14.10-2PGDG.rhel8.x86_64.rpm Contains invalid cLang option in Makefile.global
Date
In response to RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: BUG #18289: postgresql14-devel-14.10-2PGDG.rhel8.x86_64.rpm Contains invalid cLang option in Makefile.global  ("Fensterman, John P" <John.Fensterman@charter.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Sorry, copied the original package instead of the new one.
This was the package tested:
postgresql15-devel-15.5-2PGDG.rhel8.x86_64.rpm

Updated in below text as well.

John Fensterman | Data Architect

-----Original Message-----
From: Fensterman, John P
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2024 3:13 PM
To: Jeremy Schneider <schneider@ardentperf.com>; Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org>; Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@gmail.com>;pgsql-bugs@lists.postgresql.org

Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: BUG #18289: postgresql14-devel-14.10-2PGDG.rhel8.x86_64.rpm Contains invalid cLang option
inMakefile.global

Quick follow up:

Our DBA was testing a fresh install of pg 15.
It failed when he attempted to install temporal tables and mysql (mostly expected).

We scrutinized the versions of llvm and cLang and re-read the llvm versions and changes website.

llvm17 has the makefile issue as the xClang option is deprecated but not in llvm16 as v16 still allowed the opaque
pointersflag to be set.

When our DBA downgraded from llvm17 to llvm16 we were able to install w/o issue.

TLDR: the 15..5 devel rpm (.../15/redhat/rhel-8-x86_64/ postgresql15-devel-15.5-2PGDG.rhel8.x86_64.rpm) contains llvm17
anddowngrading to v16 bypasses the failure.

John Fensterman | Data Architect