RE: ERROR: COPY escape must be a single one-byte character(multi-delimiter appears to work on Postgres 9.0 but does not on Postgres9.2) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Brannen
Subject RE: ERROR: COPY escape must be a single one-byte character(multi-delimiter appears to work on Postgres 9.0 but does not on Postgres9.2)
Date
In response to Re: ERROR: COPY escape must be a single one-byte character(multi-delimiter appears to work on Postgres 9.0 but does not on Postgres9.2)  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
>Adrian Klaver wrote:
>On 11/13/19 4:40 PM, Brandon Ragland wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a Talend enterprise job that loads data into a PostgreSQL
>> database via the COPY command. When migrating to a new server this
>> command fails with the following error message:
>> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException:ERROR: COPY escape must be a single
>> one-byte character
>
>Does the Postgres log offer anymore information?
>
>Can you crank up the error level to get more info?
>
>Are the encodings for the Postgres server/OS different ?

What is the COPY command you're using?

To extend Adrian's good questions, have you really examined the line in
question carefully with a tool that will show you the true characters being
used? You didn't show the COPY command, but to me, this sounds like you
have a "fancy" character happening. The place I most often see this is
with double quotes:

U+0022      normal ASCII "    (1 byte)
U+201c      left double quote (2 bytes!)

Depending on the font used, those 2 can look very much alike and
there are far more characters that can be mixed up like this. The
insidious ones for me are the whitespace chars, e.g. 0xa0. I find this
happens frequently when the source of a copy-paste is from another
program, e.g. MS-Word; our ticket system did this for awhile too. :(

HTH,
Kevin
This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential
information.If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient,
youare hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, review, copy or use of any of the information contained in or
attachedto this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately
notifyus by reply e-mail, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them
todisk. Thank you.