Re: Need help with a special JOIN - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Need help with a special JOIN
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Sep 29, 2012, at 12:02, Andreas <maps.on@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> asume I've got 2 tables
>
> objects ( id int, name text )
> attributes ( object_id int, value int )
>
> attributes   has a default entry with object_id = 0 and some other where another value should be used.
>
> e.g.
> objects
> (   1,   'A'   ),
> (   2,   'B'   ),
> (   3,   'C'   )
>
> attributes
> (   0,   42   ),
> (   2,   99   )
>
> The result of the join should look like this:
>
> object_id, name, value
> 1,   'A',   42
> 2,   'B',   99
> 3,   'C',   42
>

> I could figure something out with 2 JOINs, UNION and some DISTINCT ON but this would make my real query rather
chunky.  :(

> Is there an elegant way to get this?

General form (idea only, syntax not tested)

Select objectid, name, coalesce(actuals.value, defaults.value)
From objects cross join (select ... From  attributes ...) as defaults
Left join attributes as actuals on ...

Build up a master relation with all defaults then left join that against the attributes taking the matches where
presentotherwise taking the default.

David J.