Re: [HACKERS] large object regression tests - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bort, Paul
Subject Re: [HACKERS] large object regression tests
Date
List pgsql-patches
Jeremy Drake wrote:

> I am open to suggestions.  I saw one suggestion that I use an
> image of an elephant, but I suspect that was tongue-in-cheek.
>  I am not very fond of the idea of generating repetitious
> data, as I think it would be more difficult to determine
> whether or not the loseek/tell functions put me in the right
> place in the middle of the file.  Perhaps if there was a way
> to generate deterministic pseudo-random data, that would work
> (has to be deterministic so the diffs of the output come out
> right).  Anyone have a good example of seeding a random
> number generator and generating a bunch of bytea which is
> deterministic cross-platform?

How about just using a mathmatical series, like Fibonacci? You can make
the file as big as you want from a trivial generator. If you store it as
space-separated ASCII ( 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 ... ), it should be
platform independent and you can compare any range of offsets that
suits.

Regards,
Paul Bort