Config settings for large restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Config settings for large restore
Date
Re: Config settings for large restore  (Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm just wondering what is considered the general wisdom on config
setting for large pg_restore runs.  I know to increase
maintenance_work_mem and turn off autovacuum and stats collection.
Shoule should checkpoint_segments and checkpoint_timeout be
increased?  Would twiddling shared_buffers help?  What about the
bgwriter (I'm thinking this should just follow the checkpoint and
shared_buffers settings)?  I realize that the actual setting will be
hardware dependent, I'm just looking for general rules of thumb for
what to tweak wrt increased restore speed/performance.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888