Re: Accessing a db with pgAdmin - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Accessing a db with pgAdmin
Date
List pgsql-general
Kent Miller wrote:
> Background - I am having a problem accessing a remote postgreSQL db
> from my laptop using an ssh tunnel and pgAdmin. I had postgreSQL
> loaded on my computer for use as a test db, but removed it. Including
> deleting the postgeSQL, and pgadmin directories after using the
> windows applications removal tool. When I reinstall pgAdmin it somehow
> remembered the previous entries I had for pgadmin? From the registry?

Yes, from the registry.

> I have a previously setup computer with ssh and pgAdmin that can
> access this remote db just fine. For some reason I cannot get my
> laptop to access the remote db. I have tried this after shutting down
> the windows firewall, and norton antivirus (including the worm
> protection). The pgAdmin tool on my laptop can access a local
> postgreSQL db just fine. Both my laptop and the computer which can
> access the remote db are on the same lan, and are passing through the
> same network firewall. I am not sure what else to try? Any assistance
> would be greatly appreciated!
>
> The error message I get is "could not connect to server: Connection
> refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1"
> and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?"

This error message means:
You are trying to connect to port 5432 on your local computer and
nobody is listening there.

It seems that you made a connectio attempt to your local computer
despite your claim that you are trying to connect to a remote
machine.

In the pgAdmin III connection properties, you'll have to put the
name of the remote computer into the 'Host' field.

Can you ping the remote computer?
Can you connect to the remote database with psql?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe