Re: Not able to insert binary Data having NULL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Not able to insert binary Data having NULL
Date
List pgsql-general
Manish Jain wrote:
> I have bytea column in one table and using C language, I am
> trying to insert a binary data (having NULLs)
>
> into bytea column, but it just inserts/updates till NULL reached.
>
> Please let know whether I am missing something.

I guess that when you say NULL you don't mean SQL NULL, but
the byte E'\\000', right? The rest of my E-Mail is based on
that assumption.

When calling PQexecParams to store a bytea, either set
paramFormats[i] to 0 (text) and use escape sequences as above,
or set paramFormats[i] to 1 (binary) and dont't forget to set
paramLengths[i] to the length of the binary data.

> Any other approach - may I use some data type instead of
> bytea so that any binary data can go there?

Large Objects.
But there's nothing wrong with bytea.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe