Re: libpq or postgresql performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: libpq or postgresql performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
Aryan Ariel Rodriguez Chalas wrote:
> I'm working with an application that connects to a remote server database using "libpq" library over
> internet, but making a simple query is really slow even though I've done PostgreSQL Tunning and table
> being indexed, so I want to know:
>
> -Why is postgresql or libpq that slow when working over internet?
> -What else should I do to solve this issue in addition of postgresql tunning?
> -Why if I connect to the remote server desktop (using RDP or any Remote Desktop Application) and run
> the application using the same internet connection, it runs really fast when making requests to
> postgresql; but if I run the application locally by connecting to the remote postgresql server through
> "libpq", it's really slow?.

There are a million possible reasons; it would be a good
idea to trace at different levels to see where the time
is lost.

One thing that comes to mind and that is often the cause of
what you observe would be that there is a lot of traffic
between the database and the application, but little traffic
between the application and the user.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe