Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.8 on AIX5.3 : compilation failed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.8 on AIX5.3 : compilation failed
Date
List pgsql-general
Alexandra Roy wrote:
> I have always run "gmake distclean" before relaunching a build.
>
> Maybe the32-bit build failed because I have not set and exported the
> "OBJECT_MODE" environment variable.
> I will try to build PostgreSQL once again with "export
> OBJECT_MODE=32".

I will look at the 32 bit case again.

> I continued to test a 64-bit build and finally, I found the
> procedure to
> do a 64-bit build of PostgreSQL 8.3.8 on AIX 5.3.
> As "root" user :

You don't have to be root for this.

> # export OBJECT_MODE=64
> # export CFLAGS="-maix64"
> # export LDFLAGS="-maix64 -Wl,-bbigtoc"
> # export AR="ar -X64" => this step was missing in my first test

This should not be necessary - if you look at the man page of "ar"
you will see that the default value of the -X flag is derived
from OBJECT_MODE.

> # ./configure
> # gmake
> All of PostgreSQL successfully made. Ready to install.

I'm glad that you got it to compile.

> As non-root user :
> # gmake check
>  All 114 tests passed.