Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.8 on AIX5.3 : compilation failed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexandra Roy
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.8 on AIX5.3 : compilation failed
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Laurenz, hi Daniel,

I have always run "gmake distclean" before relaunching a build.

Maybe the32-bit build failed because I have not set and exported the
"OBJECT_MODE" environment variable.
I will try to build PostgreSQL once again with "export OBJECT_MODE=32".

I continued to test a 64-bit build and finally, I found the procedure to
do a 64-bit build of PostgreSQL 8.3.8 on AIX 5.3.
As "root" user :
# export OBJECT_MODE=64
# export CFLAGS="-maix64"
# export LDFLAGS="-maix64 -Wl,-bbigtoc"
# export AR="ar -X64" => this step was missing in my first test
# ./configure
# gmake
All of PostgreSQL successfully made. Ready to install.

As non-root user :
# gmake check
=======================
 All 114 tests passed.
=======================

As "root" user:
# gmake install
PostgreSQL installation complete.

I will try this procedure with "export OBJECT_MODE=32" at the beginning
to see if the first error was coming from this variable.
I will tell me my conclusion.

About 32-build versus 64-build on AIX, could you please tell me if
PostgreSQL will be able to use all the benefits of a 64-build or not ?

Thank you for your answer.

Regards,
Alexandra