Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

http://otn.oracle.com/products/oracle9i/datasheets/gateways/gateway_rel2
_ds.html
 "Oracle Generic Connectivity and Oracle Transparent Gateways provide  the ability to transparently access data in
non-Oraclesystems from   an Oracle environment....
  ...Oracle Generic connectivity makes it possible to access low-end   data stores such as Foxpro, Access, dBase and
non-relationaltargets   like Excel. ...
  ...Oracle has transparent gateways to many sources, Sybase, Informix,
  Microsoft SQL Server, Ingres, Teradata to name a few."

I was mildly disapointed I didn't see PostgreSQL on the list. 1/2 :-)
1/2 :-| Is this similar to what CONNX does?

DRC responds: >>>>-----------------------------

CONNX joins anything to anything.  We wrote several of our own ODBC
drivers (including a recent one for PostgreSQL in {soon to be released}
CONNX 8.9) and we also work with ODBC drivers or OLEDB sources written
by other folks.  We import every data source into a central repository
of metadata called the CONNX CDD.  After that, we can join across
systems transparent to the user.

We also have a data replication system that will mirror data from any
collection of database systems to a single target system or a collection
of target systems.  We can replicate only the data that has changed,
which speeds up the synchronizations a lot.

Plenty of other stuff too.  Those that are interested can cruise around
our web site.  Probably off topic for the list at this point.  Further
inquiries would probably be better as private emails.