Re: Two weeks to feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date
Re: Two weeks to feature freeze  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
Re: Two weeks to feature freeze  ("Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews@investsystems.co.uk>)
Re: Two weeks to feature freeze  (Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>)
Re: Two weeks to feature freeze  (The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers

Let me rephrase it:
"Only a  cohesive, organized testing effort can result in a product that
is proven reliable."

Without such an effort, it is only an educated guess as to whether the
product is reliable or not.  The data is the most valuable software
component in an organization.  It is worth more than the hardware and it
is worth more than the software.  If you are going to trust one billion
dollars worth of corporate data on a software system, you ought to
ensure that the system has been carefully tested.  I don't think that is
just an opinion.  It's simply common sense.
> I take my support of Postgresql seriously, and answer many
> questions every
> week in the general, sql, and performance mailing lists.  I'm
> not paid to
> do it, I stay at work an extra hour or so each day to "pay
> for it."  I
> test every beta and RC release on our dataset at work, and
> with a test
> load to make sure it works for us, and it does.
>
> I offered to beta test for Crystal Reports and was told they weren't
> interested, they can do it in house.  Their support, like many big
> commercial houses, is designed more to make my boss's boss
> happy, not me,
> and it shows every day in how they fail to provide timely support for
> their product while playing CYA to the higherups.

A long test cycle does result in a slower patch.  But when you get the
patch, it is going to work and not introduce new problems.

The resistance to testing is typical of programmers.  The PostgreSQL
group is a group of programmers.  I don't think I can change anyone's
mind, since the most significant people on the list don't think it is
worth the bother.

Therefore, I am going to stop harping on it.