Re: PostGres Doubt - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: PostGres Doubt
Date
Re: PostGres Doubt  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
I should apologize for being rather harsh about embedded SQL for
PostgreSQL.

To be fair, it does function and it certainly isn't trivial to
implement.  I am sure that those who have worked on this project have
invested very many hours of blood, sweat and tears making it work.

I actually spent a great deal of effort trying to write some tools using
the PostgreSQL version of ECPG, and found fatal flaws that threw away a
couple weeks of work.  I think that is why my responses were so
overwhelmingly negative.

Here is what I would like to see (consider a gentle suggestion):

A reentrant version of ECPG that uses SQLCA and SQLDA like Oracle or Rdb
or DB/2 or any of the professional database systems.