Re: Patch - Debug builds without optimization - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian Pflug
Subject Re: Patch - Debug builds without optimization
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jun16, 2011, at 14:30 , Radosław Smogura wrote:
> I'm sending following patch which disables optimization when --enable-debug is passed. It was nasty (for me, at
least)that debug build required passing of CFLAGS with -O0 to get nice traceable code.

Unfortunately, with some compilers (gcc, I'm looking at you) you get considerably fewer warnings with -O0 than with
-O1,even if you specify -Wall. The reason seems to be that some of the warnings need information produces by some of
theoptimization passes.

I usually use -O1 for debug builds, these are usually still at least somewhat debuggable with gdb.

best regards,
Florian Pflug