Re: encourging bitmap AND - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: encourging bitmap AND
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Dec 26, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> If you're doing interval queries enough to worry about having an index
> for them, you really want an indexing structure that is designed to do
> interval queries efficiently.

BTW, one way to accomplish that is to transform your data into geometric shapes and then index them accordingly. Prior
tothe work Jeff Davis has done on time intervals it was common to treat time as points and ranges as lines or boxes.
Whilewe no longer need to play those games for time, I don't think there's an equivalent for non-time datatypes.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net