Re: Question from someone who is not trained in computer sciences - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul)
Subject Re: Question from someone who is not trained in computer sciences
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Judith,

Might be more than you are looking for, but . . . We’ve done something like this with a portable mapping system installed on a Raspberry Pi.  Really!!, it works with Postgres and a webserver to serve out a replicated open software stack based mappint interface.

Our focus was on using the approach to take large amounts of constantly changing mapping data into the field without the dependence on a network.  Since the RPis are so small, it’s easy to take them into the field as well as sync them in the office.

We used a whole service infrastructure with a postgres backend, web server and the GeoMoose product to display maps.  Our next iteration is to build some editing tools, but since the software stack is the same as a our in office version, the development works for both.

You can do some interesting tricks at the database level in order to pull things together from various edit users.  More info on request for this.  :c)

Here is our project from earlier this year:

We put on a Workshop with a slightly older version of the Raspberry Pi.  The newest version is even faster.  It can be operated in the field, in your pocket with a battery running all day, or plugged into a car charger, or both, for non-stop operation.  Just turn it on in the morning, and off at night.  We did some special database syncing processes with ours, but I’ll leave that as an exercise for you.  Basically you can use the RPi as a mobile Server stack, complete with Web FORMs and database connectivity.  you can also use them in a team approach where more than one wifi connection can be made to the RPi, because in the end, it’s just a web server advertising over it’s own broacast Wifi.

Glad to answer any questions.

bobb