PostgreSQL downloads compressed with bzip2 instead of gzip ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joel Rodrigues
Subject PostgreSQL downloads compressed with bzip2 instead of gzip ?
Date
Re: PostgreSQL downloads compressed with bzip2 instead  (Dennis Gearon <gearond@cvc.net>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I know that for many people, file size is not much of an issue,
but for many others I suspect it is. Whether that is for reasons
of storage space on smaller drives, like on current laptops, or
older machines. Plus, it can cut down on bandwidth usage. And if
that's not enough reason, then how about simply because there is
a better, more efficient way to compress than Gzip ?

Therefore, I think it would be nice to have PostgreSQL downloads
available compressed with bzip2 instead of gzip. Starting with
version 7.3.3 perhaps ?

Cheers,
Joel