Re: visualizing B-tree index coverage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: visualizing B-tree index coverage
Date
List pgsql-general
Normally, a unique, clustered index is the silver bullet to the best
performance (but my experience with unique clustered indexes is largely
in non-PostgreSQL database systems -- so take it with a grain of salt).

I do not see any extra expense for a unique index verses one that is
mostly unique.  Further, if an index is unique, that should be an
excellent optimizer hint for query acceleration.

If you know what queries you run most frequently, I would tailor the
index for optimal query execution via the join columns and columns often
involved in where clause filtering.

If it is easily possible to make a unique index I would definitely time
the queries with a unique index as well.   I suspect that the unique
index will fare better unless there is something odd about your data.