Re: EMBEDDED PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: EMBEDDED PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Jan 25, 2005, at 5:02 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> Again, I think this is fine as the default, but it would be nice if it
>> could be changed with a setting (rather than recompiling the source).
>
> That can always be argued :-)

I had a feeling it would be :)

>> Not all Windows users are dummies about security and need
>> PostgreSQL to
>> enforce security measures beyond those implemented on other platforms.
>
> First of all, it does *not* enforce anything beyond what's enforced on
> Unix. On Unix, it doesn't run as root. On Windows, it doesn't run as
> Administrator.

OK, perhaps I'm not comparing apples to apples. On OS X I have an
administrative account and I can run PostgreSQL just fine. So what you
are saying is an administrative account on Windows is more like root on
Unix.

> If your users are running as administrators, then you *are* very naive
> about security on your systems (I won't say dummy, but clearly not
> making a significant effort). That's where you should fix the problem.

Again, I was merely pointing out the issue for the original poster who
wanted an embedded database. On Windows there is currently no way to
drag any kind folder with PostgreSQL to the hard drive and run (local
connections only) if the user is an administrative user. And my guess
is that anyone that buys a Windows machine and sets it up themselves
has one account which is an administrative user.

Personally, I have no users administrative or otherwise. And the
Windows machine I typically use is not even connected to the internet
:).

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL