Re: Extensible storage manager API - smgr hooks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrey Borodin
Subject Re: Extensible storage manager API - smgr hooks
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On 16 Jun 2022, at 13:41, Kirill Reshke <reshke@double.cloud> wrote:
>
> Hello Yura and Anastasia.

FWIW this technology is now a part of Greenplum [0]. We are building GP extension that automatically offloads cold data
toS3 - a very simplified version of Neon for analytical workloads.
When a segment of a table is not used for a long period of time, extension will sync files with backup storage in the
Cloud.
When the user touches data, extension's smgr will bring table segments back from backup or latest synced version.

Our #1 goal is to provide a tool useful for the community. We easily can provide same extension for Postgres if this
technology(extensible smgr) is in core. Does such an extension seem useful for Postgres? Or does this data access
patternseems unusual for Postgres? By pattern I mean vast amounts of cold data only ever appended and never touched.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

[0] https://github.com/greenplum-db/gpdb/pull/13601