RE: Application Design and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Willis, Ian (Ento, Canberra)
Subject RE: Application Design and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
I don't agree with the philsophy.

A better approach would be put the code in the back end when you can, else
fluff it into middleware. Your approach may seem the most flexible however
my experience make me believe that the reverse is true. The company that I
use to work for had two applications one which used server side logic on
oracle the other was a middleware solution that could float on a number of
different DBs. Three transitions were
The Oracle product was ported to informix.     Easy
The Oracle/Informix product was web enabled     Easy
The Middleware product was web enabled        Initially appeared easy but
was very difficult and had many teething problems.
Middleware tends to bloat quickly and hits exceptions get pulled into body
of the code. I believe that IBM's DB2 adopted a somewhat similiar
architecture to postgresql because they found that middleware was slower and
less flexable.

--
Ian Willis