Intel x64 vs AMD x64 pgdata - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Trout
Subject Intel x64 vs AMD x64 pgdata
Date
Re: Intel x64 vs AMD x64 pgdata  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hey folks,

Asking here since it may deal with clever things such as alignment
and or binary reps.

I'm migrating from some opterons to some xeons (E5345) both are
running x86_64. At first I figured I'd need to dump & load my data,
which will be painful.  But on a whim I made a test db on the
opteron, copied it over (tar) and it fired up and worked fine on the
xeon.  Seeing the success of this, I took our PITR backup and
restored it properly, and everything seems to be functioning
correctly from my tests.

Is there anything I should be weary of doing this?  I'd figure any
alignment or other issues would have bitten me in my testing or PG
would simply refuse to start.

btw, the version in question is 8.2.5

thanks guys!
--