Re: Restarting DB after moving to another drive - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Begin
Subject Re: Restarting DB after moving to another drive
Date
List pgsql-general
Bonjour Francisco.

Skimming the documentation sequentially is a cleaver advice, especially since the doc is much of the time well done and
exhaustive.Unfortunately, even if I actually did it about 1 year ago, it seems this specific item slipped out of my
mind:-(

About dump/restore operation, restoring the database cluster is running for 24hrs now (psql -f pgdumpallOutputfile
postgres).Since it took 13hrs to dump the cluster, I begin to wonder how long it is going to take to restore it...

My main concern is about how the indexes are managed in dump/restore operations. I understand that pg_dumpall actually
usespg_dump where the doc says "Post-data items include definitions of indexes, triggers..." I would not worry if the
docsaid that indexes are simply copied but it says "includes definition of indexes".

Since some of the indexes took days to build... does someone could confirm indexes are rebuilt instead of copied?
If indexes are actually rebuilt, why should it be done that way? - There must be good reason!

Best regards,
Daniel