Restarting DB after moving to another drive - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Begin
Subject Restarting DB after moving to another drive
Date
List pgsql-general

I am working on windows and I had to move my database on another hard drive after the original one started overheating. In order to move the DB I did the following…

-Stop postgresql-x64-9.3 service – and wait until there were no more system access to on the original drive

-Copy the entire content of the original drive to the new one (the drive is dedicated to the DB)

-Turn off the original hard drive and reassign the old drive letter to the new one

-Restart the DB

I tried to connect to the database by using PgAdmin III and I got the following error message:

“Could not read symbolic link “pg_tblspc/100589”: Invalid argument”

I concluded something went wrong and I decided to get back to the old drive. I stopped the DB, turned off the new drive, turned on the old one and tried to restart the postgresql service but it does not start anymore. The only message I get is:

“Postgresql-x64-9.3 service on local computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs”

I am the only user of the database

Hoping someone can help

Daniel