Re: How to convert integer to string in functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: How to convert integer to string in functions
Date
List pgsql-general

In my table, some of the columns are in text datatype. Few data will come down from UI layer as integers. I want to convert that to string/text before saving it into the table. Please help me on this.

SQL Standard:  "CAST( value AS text )" [or varchar]
PostgreSQL short-hand:  "value::text"

In both formats replace value with whatever you want to convert.  When writing a parameterized  query (using ?) you can write "?::text" ( or Cast(? AS type) ) to explicitly cast the unknown parameter.  The "text" in the above can be any type name.

David J.