Simulating WAL on separate disks - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guy Rouillier
Subject Simulating WAL on separate disks
Date
Re: Simulating WAL on separate disks  (Alex Turner <armtuk@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
We are soon to be doing performance testing.  Our testing environment
contains 4 SCSI disks in a RAID5 configuration, while our production
environment will have 6 SCSI disks, which I'm suggesting we allocate as
4 in RAID5 for data and 2 in RAID1 for WAL.

Because we don't have separate disks for WAL in our test environment,
I'd like to minimize the effect of WAL.  I've read the sections in both
the tuning guide and the base documentation, and I'm still a little
unclear about fsync and wal_sync_method.  If I set fsync FALSE, does
this disable WAL entirely?

--
Guy Rouillier