Re: i am getting issue as FATAL: password authentication failed foruser ' postgres' tried - Mailing list pgsql-general

From o1bigtenor
Subject Re: i am getting issue as FATAL: password authentication failed foruser ' postgres' tried
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 9:14 PM prachi surangalikar
<surangalikarprachi100@gmail.com> wrote:

> hello team,
> i have  tried every  thing  but still i  could not find the solution to this problem.
> i made changes in the pg_hba.conf file also , please help me to solve this problem.

As  a noob to programming and under the hood stuff I have found myself
with this
issue a few times. My method to 'fix' this problem is likely not
sanctioned but as I'm
working on my system on my stuff - - - oh well it works even if its NOT elegant!

When my password for postgres doesn't work.
1. I try again a couple times
2. still not working I go back into the pg_hba.conf file and comment out
    the 'new' part where postgresql has moved from no password to password
3. next step is to stop and restart postgresql
4. now you log into postgresql and given postgres a password
    (I would suggest writing it down - - - - you need to remember it!!
     One technique I use is to have a password that I can refer to in some way
     where I don't write out the password. Say you might use something based
     on a specific bit of text. You write down the directions to that
text but not
     the actual password - - - the directions should be enough of a tip so that
     you can remember the actual password!)
5. now you again modify your pg_hbs.conf file to require a password

I will admit to having occasionally needing to do this a few times in
fairly quick
succession. Using this method (I don't remove the lines from the hb_pga.conf
file I just comment them out) has reduced my stress levels at least a little.
This may not be the most secure way of doing things but if your
cracker has access
to your machine to review conf files - - - - I'd say you have some large issues
happening already.

Regards