Re: [BUGFIX] amcanbackward is not checked before building backwardindex paths - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Korotkov
Subject Re: [BUGFIX] amcanbackward is not checked before building backwardindex paths
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 4:54 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Alexander Korotkov <a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> writes:
> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 1:41 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Perhaps there is a case for adding an additional flag to allow specifying
>> "I can't support ORDER BY DESC", but I'm not in a big hurry to do so.
>> I think there would be more changes than this needed to handle such a
>> restriction, anyway.

> OK, got it.  We'll probably propose a patch implementing that to the
> next commitfest.

If you do, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to clarify the existing
code and docs around this point.  I'm thinking that amcanbackward is
misleadingly named; maybe we should rename it as part of the change?

I was thinking about naming new property as amcanorderbydesc,
which is kind of non-overlapping with amcanbackward.  For sure,
amcanbackward could be renamed, but I don't have ideas of better
name for now.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company