Re: point_ops for GiST - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Korotkov
Subject Re: point_ops for GiST
Date
Re: point_ops for GiST  (Stefan Keller <sfkeller@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi, Stefan!

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 10:00 PM, Stefan Keller <sfkeller@gmail.com> wrote:
Pls. don't misunderstand my questions: They are directed to get an
even more useful spatial data handling of PostgreSQL. I'm working with
PostGIS since years and are interested in any work regarding spatial
types...

Can anyone report use cases or applications of these built-in geometric types?

Would'nt it be even more useful to concentrate to PostGIS
geometry/geography types and extend BRIN to these types?

Note, that PostGIS is a different project which is maintained by separate team. PostGIS have its own priorities, development plan etc.
PostgreSQL have to be self-consistent. In particular, it should have reference implementation of operator classes which extensions can use as the pattern. This is why it's important to maintain built-in geometric types.

In short: once we implement it for built-in geometric types, you can ask PostGIS team to do the same for their geometry/geography.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company