Re: WIP: Fast GiST index build - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Korotkov
Subject Re: WIP: Fast GiST index build
Date
List pgsql-hackers
href="mailto:heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com">heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com</a>></span>wrote:<br
/><blockquoteclass="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><div
class="im">On14.07.2011 23:41, Alexander Korotkov wrote:<br /><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0
.8ex;border-left:1px#ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> Do you think using "rightlink" as pointer to parent page is possible
during<br/> index build? It would allow to simplify code significantly, because of no<br /> more need to maintain
rightlink,then? Would you need a final pass through the index to fix all the rightlinks?<br /><br /> I think you could
usethe NSN field. It's used to detect concurrent page splits, but those can't happen during index build, so you don't
needthat field during index build. You just have to make it look like an otherwise illegal NSN, so that it won't be
mistakenfor a real NSN after the index is built. Maybe add a new flag to mean that the NSN is actually
takeinto account that in this case I need to update parent link in many pages(which might be not in cache) on split.
regards,<br/>Alexander Korotkov.</div>