Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Korotkov
Subject Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 3:15 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I've been thinking about this after looking at 0a459cec96, and I don't
> think this patch has the same issues. One reason is that just like the
> original minmax opclass, it does not really mess with the data it
> stores. It only does min/max on the values, and stores that, so if there
> was NaN or Infinity, it will index NaN or Infinity.

FWIW, I think the closest similar functionality is subtype_diff
function of range type.  But I don't think we should require range
type here just in order to fetch subtype_diff function out of it.  So,
opclass distance function looks OK for me, assuming it's not
AM-defined function, but function used for inter-opclass
compatibility.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company