pgbasebackup necessary for master slave change? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Subhankar Chattopadhyay
Subject pgbasebackup necessary for master slave change?
Date
Re: pgbasebackup necessary for master slave change?
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Few days back I had asked if it is needed to to pg_basebackup for
every database update. From John I understood that it is unnecessary
and if the slave is syncing, even if it is catching up, it would be
able to sync without doing pg_basebackup. This is working also for me.

However, for a failover scenario, where a master goes down, and I make
the slave as master, and then when the old master comes back as a
slave again, if I don't take pg_basebackup from the new master, it
cannot follow the new master. This is kind of an overhead. Is there a
way I can make the old master follow the new master without having to
do full backup?

Subhankar Chattopadhyay
Bangalore, India