Re: Local User Groups - advocacy - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Valeria Kaplan
Subject Re: Local User Groups - advocacy
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi Jonathan, All,

To take our discussion on this thread further, I went through the content on the wiki page and rewrote it a bit.

I made five sections, keeping in mind what I'd see going on the postgres.org website PUG page:

1. Small blurb at the top (see under creating a new user group
2. Starting your PUG (guides you through the process of creating all needed resources and announcing the group to the community)
3. Holding your first meetup (talks about different organisational aspects of a meetup, how to get funding, and where to announce)
4. Holding more meetings (a general guidance on holding meetup series)
5. Useful links (this needs more links, examples of active user group pages, checklists, articles about choosing topics for PUG meetings and how to run them. If anyone has good examples for it, could you please ad the link to the wiki https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/UserGroupOperatingManual#Useful_Links or send it to this thread and I'll add.)

I left Notes and Brain Dump, they do have some useful nuggets of information, but I think it'd be too much for the website.

It definitely needs a proof, so if anyone can help with that it would be great.

Once on the website, I have a few ideas that could bring this section of the website to live a bit more (an animation to explain the process and maybe series of video interviews with those who have experience organising PUG meetings)... "You may say I`m a dreamer; but I`m not the only one." :)

Cheers,
Valeria

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 4:59 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
Hi,

On 1/6/20 8:12 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 04:57, Valeria Kaplan <vk@dataegret.com
> <mailto:vk@dataegret.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Umair,
>
>     Thanks for sending this to Manoj, this is a super useful page.
>     Do you know if there is a particular reason why this info is not on
>     the main website?
>
>     I think it's super useful, so maybe we could put it
>     here: https://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/ or at least
>     provide a link to wiki (I guess, it depends whether or not we would
>     liek to keep using wiki for instructions like that - I personally,
>     think we shouldn't since only those who are already involved in the
>     community would be aware of wiki, others will most probably look for
>     information like that on the main website.).
>
>     All,
>     what do you think?
>

> Personally I find the wiki a terrible place to put anything. It is only
> useful if you know that what you are searching for exists and you have
> some vague notion of how to search for it.
>
> +1 for the main page

I think the idea for this page being on the wiki was that it allowed for
changes to be made over time, e.g. if there was a new idea for how to do
something, a clarification, etc. It also has not been updated since 2015.

That said, I would not be opposed to adding something on the website for
how to start a user group, etc. but I think we need to ensure we have
some "final" language we've agreed to. It's (relatively) easier to
modify a Wiki page than the website.

Perhaps an interim step is to link to the wiki page from the website? We
can then work on what we would want the "user group operating manual"
page to say on the website, and once ready, commit that.

Thanks,

Jonathan