Re: recasting to timestamp from varchar - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Angelico
Subject Re: recasting to timestamp from varchar
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 4:28 AM, Kirk Wythers <wythe001@umn.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to re-cast a column as a timestamp>
>
> ALTER TABLE sixty_min ALTER COLUMN time2 TYPE timestamp;
> ERROR:  column "time2" cannot be cast to type timestamp without time zone
>
> The column time2 is currently a varchar. I actually do not want to mess with time zones, but it seems that postgres
willnot let me do this.

What exactly do you mean about your time zones? Are all your times in
UTC? If they're all in "local time", then you'll want to record time
zones, if only to prevent confusion around DST. It's really much MUCH
safer to incorporate tz.

ChrisA