Re: database corruption questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Angelico
Subject Re: database corruption questions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> wrote:
> * Never, ever, ever use cheap SSDs. Use good quality hard drives or (after
> proper testing) high end SSDs. Read the SSD reviews periodically posted on
> this mailing list if considering using SSDs. Make sure the SSD has a
> supercapacitor or other reliable option for flushing its write cache on
> power loss. Always do repeated plug-pull testing when using SSDs.

Interesting. My boss just bought a set of SSDs for some test systems,
with the intention of using them for our next deployment. They're
giving really great performance under pgbench, but we haven't yet done
a plug-pull test on any of them. I'll make sure I do that next week.

Is there an article somewhere about how best to do a plug-pull test?
Or is it as simple as "fire up pgbench, kill the power, bring things
back up, and see if anything isn't working"?

ChrisA